Living Daylights

I had the pleasure of running sound for the Seattle-based trio Living
Daylights Saturday night. They headlined at the stage I was running
at the Eugene Celebration, and did an amazing set. More on that later.

First of all, I need to say it was wonderful to be involved in a
community-wide celebration after this week's events. There was a lot
of debate as to whether the celebration would actually happen this
year, and a number of bands cancelled, including the opening-night
headliners They Might Be Giants. There was a lot of schedule
juggling, and a lot of uncertainty, but there was a lot of good will
and tolerance among everyone involved, and a real sense that we all
needed some good music to get us all through. It was a reminder of
why I became a musician in the first place (well, that , and to meet
girls).

Anyway, Living Daylights are Jessica Lurie on tenor & alto saxes and
flute, Arne Livingston on bass, and Dale Fanning on drums. Both
Jessica and Arne use loopers, Jessica a DL-4 and Arne a JamMan. Arne
has got to be one of the most masterful loopers that I've ever seen.
He runs a relatively simple setup, a 4-string fretted bass (Ken
Smith), into a tube preamp into a TC Electronics G-Force and  the
JamMan. He sends 2 signals to the house , one channel of bass, and
one channel of the JamMan. He also sent the JamMan output to
headphones Dale wore. Dale would wear one side of the headphones, and
through the other ear he'd hear everything else through his monitor
speaker. He said that they'd worked out this system after a lot of
trial and effort, and this allows him to lock into the loops. They
made it all look and sound totally effortless, Dale and Arne would
set up a groove, and the next thing I knew, the bass line was looped,
and Arne was soloing, comping, whatever, over the top of it. I know
this isn't a particularly revolutionary use of looping, but they did
it so well, and so totally musically. I should also point out that
they only really used the loopers for about 1/3 of the set, the rest
of time was the strait-up trio, and that they rocked in that context
as well.

Their latest CD "Electric Rosary" has Bill Frisell on it, and is
quite nice, though a bit lower energy than live. If you get a chance
to see them, and they do spend a lot of time on the road, don't miss
it.
Dave Trenkel                                New and Improv Music
http://www.newandimprov.com         improv@peak.org
                 Now Available: Minus: Dark Lit
"This is music all-consuming in its beauty and power"
                                -Jake TenPas OSU Daily Barometer