Re: OT - 9-11-01 -- looping prayers

on 9/13/01 12:48 AM, mark.red@involvelearning.com at
mark.red@involvelearning.com wrote:

> It just depresses me how many freaks
> there are in this world, believing all sorts of s**t.

Mark,
It seems like you have a lot of emotions in this, that's easy to
understand.

But would you send an email to a church congregation telling them to get a
grip that everyone knows there's no god and prayer doesn't do anything and
why don't they "f...ing" get a grip and do something more productive with
their energy!

even if you don't believe in God, at least their hearts are in the right
place, at least they are trying to be positive, also, you never know...
and if your life were a tv show would you really want to see your character
doing that?

Would you do the same thing to people who were chanting for peace?

why not extend that same benefit of the doubt/courtesy to people with
other,
less mainstream belief systems?

One really great way to be of service to your fellow men and women in this
time of need is to be a leader, by modelling the ideals of what it really
should mean to be "an american": to embrace difference as a strength, to be
willing to stand up for the rights of anyone based on their race, religion,
ancestry, size, shape, color, as we would hope they would do the same for
us, because it's the right thing to do. To be willing to die to protect the
right of someone who's doing something you might not even like, because you
believe the ideals of freedom are more important than our individual lives.
That's what the people who died fighting for our freedom from the British
did. It's where we came from, at least in ideology, and while at times it
gets pretty thin(especially with  the racism, slavery, genocides and
terrorism we've perpetrated even in the acquisition of this land), without
it we'd surely be lost.

BTW, i think it's healthy to accomodate this issue for the time being since
we are human beings and all, to aid in the healing process.