earthsync

here's an interesting idea I had a few years ago.
I tried to get some interest but it never advanced
and I'm prompted to trot it out again.

1. Binaural beats entrain brainwaves.

There is an idea called a "binaural beat".

if you play a 200 Hz tone in the left ear
and a 208 Hz tone in the right ear,
you hear the "difference frequency" of 8 Hz

and you get that same frequency emphasized in your
brain waves (this is called "entrainment").

2. Every computer is a simple synthesizer.

Suppose you had simple software synthesizers in every computer
that could make just two simple sine waves well.

Actually, you do.  Almost every computer in the world
today can do simple sine waves in stereo and very accurately.

3. Sync up the synths.

Now, suppose you could synchronize them so that all the computers
were accurately synchronized (difficult but not impossible).
(Accurately means millisecond timing...)

So we have created a simple little free program that lets
everyone play the same two tones at the same phase at
exactly the "same time".

4. sync up all the minds.

You can see where I am going with this.
Everyone plays this program at the same time
and gets their brain waves frequencies synchronized.

   individuals all over the world with brain waves sync'ed

results ?  but very interesting.

who knows.

5. "vote" on what brain waves to set.

in the second stage:

have the brain waves that we are all sharing
set by popular consensus -- ie, a moving average
of everyone else's brain waves...

"I felt a sudden disturbance in The Force..."

6.... !  to infinity!

The possibilities are endless.

7. How to proceed.

I have more writing on this,
including some specification of the players,
how you could run this without having a central server,
and that sort of thing.

I believe that there are no particularly great technical hurdles
to overcome and that it could be achieved in a fairly straight-forward
fashion.  The synchronization is the hardest part and is achievable
I believe and the rest is very ordinary programming and a lot
of writing and social engineering...

Any interest here?

        /t

<http://ax.to/fortune>.........a new fortune every minute.