basic Midi control repeater question

     Do I have this right- in order to get the repeater to say , record,
via midi you need to send a particular Program control message, then a cc
message and send a certain value with the cc message. If that is the case,
and I hope I am missing something, then -at least for guitar players, the DMC
controller is pretty useless because you will have to step on  at least 2
buttons and then move a volume pedal -with this type of set up it will be
impossible for any two footed creature to get precise start and stop etc...