Re: Looping pads and ambient sounds / likely repeater correction

At 11:26 AM 9/8/2001, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>Which leads me into the next topic:  Glib and friendly manuals.  I, for
>one,
>hate them.  Seems to me the Electrix folk seem more interested in being my
>friend, than imparting information to me in a succinct manner.  This style
>is prevalent in the music tech world.  I talked to a few people about
>this,
>and the consensus was: Get to the point.  Put the marketing people in a
>cage
>during the manual writing part.  We bought the thing already, don't keep
>selling it to us.  Switch to helping us use it to it's fullest potential.
>I've got plenty of friendly pals, now I need a clear teacher.  Does this
>bug
>anyone else on the list?

Well, it's sure bugging me right now. Previously somebody asked a question
regarding a problem using the Repeater together with the Echoplex. I tried
to answer it by looking up some details about the Repeater's operation in
the online manual, and couldn't find any specifics about that feature. So
couldn't answer the question. Then this weekend I decided I would take on
the grand project of making a comparison chart between the features of
different loopers, because so many people were asking about the
differences
between the repeater and the EDP. I hope to get into more details than
just
the bullet items in brochures. Again I got stuck with the repeater manual
not having enough specifics.

So the upshot is, I now own a repeater. Actually, I got two so I could see
how well they work paired together, but I probably won't keep them both.
Quite a bit more money than I had been planning to spend this afternoon!

The things I do for this site, I tell ya.

But since I own one now, I guess I get to complain along with the rest of
you. I just opened the box and discovered it uses one of those annoying
line lump power supplies that I despise. The only thing worse is the even
more dreaded wall wart that takes up three outlets. At least the cable is
reasonably thick, but it weighs about 10ozs. It's not anything standard I
can get at radio shack either, so if that thing breaks or gets lost I
guess
you have to buy one direct from Electrix. I think this is my greatest
pet-peeve about music gear. Professional gear should have well-designed,
INTERNAL power supplies that support world-wide power systems and use the
standard IEC plug. That way I can take it anywhere, and if the cable gets
lost I can easily replace it anywhere. And don't give me any nonsense
about
agency approvals or audio noise, because I'm an electrical engineer, I've
done this stuff, and I know for a fact that it's not that hard.

enough of that rant. I'll go turn it on and hopefully things get better
from here. :-)

kim