EDP pseudo-multi-tracks (was Re: Conceptual "Repeater" question)

this was from a few days ago:

At 07:59 PM 8/23/2001, AALev123@aol.com wrote:
>I do want to be able to switch between parts and possibly pull out the
>bass ,
>which I assume would be the same as pulling track 2 out and then dialing
>it
>back in ,also being able to save it all after power down is nice. Do any
>of
>the other units you mentioned do this or maybe acomplish this in a
>different
>way? thanks

For that task specifically, the other looper that can do it is the Gibson
Echoplex (or EDP). As you suspect, it accomplishes this same task in a
completely different way....

That's an interesting distinction, because I think the differences in
loopers often comes down to where their user interfaces come from.
Oftentimes they can accomplish the same things, but you have to think
about
it in a different way to do it. To me the interfaces for loopers come from
4 different places: delay based interfaces, sampler based interfaces,
recording studio based interfaces, or attempts to invent a distinct
"looper" interface.

For example, the Repeater seems to be coming from a recording studio
approach. It has faders and tracks and an interface the reminds of tape
transports. Something like the Roland SP-808 or the Boss SP-303 is coming
from a sampler approach. Sample banks, trigger pads, etc. The old digitech
delays, or the TC D-Two, or the Korg DL8000 were delay based approaches.
The Gibson Echoplex, Lexicon jamman, and Boomerang are more in the range
of
inventing their own interfaces, often by combining elements of all of
these.

So in the case of multiple tracks, the echoplex employs a sort of
pseudo-multi-track approach that doesn't give the same absolute control of
true multiple tracks, but can often accomplish the same things in a very
fast manner. For what most people are going to want to do on-the-fly in a
live context, it is probably good enough. Overdub, Multiply, and LoopCopy
are the functions that get you this. Overdub is the basic level, that lets
you have several parts layered on top of each other in a single loop.
Multiply lets you have a basic loop cycle, repeated as many times as you
want, with a longer part over the top. To the listener it sounds like two
loops of different lengths. LoopCopy lets you copy a basic loop into
another loop and overdub or multiply it or whatever to get variations on
the original. Switching between them sounds like you are muting and
unmuting other tracks.

So getting back to your goal, the echoplex accomplishes this same multiple
part thing, but you don't think about it in the "track" based recording
studio way. The Echoplex interface is really designed around the idea of a
musician playing live, and otherwise engrossed in playing some instrument.
So the interface tries to make the looping process as simple as possible
accomplish, without requiring any extra button pressing or otherwise
taking
you away from playing. In the process it doesn't necessarily give absolute
control over every detail as a recording studio would. Total control is
great in the studio, but live you won't want to deal with so many options
to accomplish something. You want it fast and efficient, and otherwise out
of your way so you can play. So the echoplex interface is optimized around
the idea of being intuitive, fast, and efficient.

So in the echoplex, your desire to be able to take a part in and out of
the
loop is accomplished by having a base loop in one loop location with
variations of that loop copied into other loop locations. So loop 1 has
your basic rhythm guitar loop, and loop 2 has your rhythm guitar loop
copied into it with the bass loop overdubbed on top. You take the bass
part
in and out of the loop by switching between loop 1 and loop 2. From the
listener's perspective, it is exactly the same as having two tracks and
muting and unmuting the one with the bass.

Creating these type of variations live in the echoplex is simple and can
be
done with one or two button presses, and you never have to take your hands
off your instrument or even look at the echoplex. All of the copying and
overdubbing for the variation occurs on the fly as you play. When you have
the copy parameter on, you just press NextLoop to start the copy, and end
it wherever you want by pressing the Multiply button. While it is doing
the
copy, you can add new material over the top, as if it were another track.
It is all totally seamless, so you never stop anything and the listeners
never have to watch you dinking around with any buttons. From their point
of view everything is seamless and the music never stops.

(This might end up sounding complicated in text, but it is actually very
fast to use live, and the echoplex OS makes it as easy as possible by
automating a lot of it.)

The echoplex introduces additional flexibility for your variations and
copies, because it automatically copies them in a Multiply mode. (that's
why you end it with the Multiply button.) So if your basic starting loop
in
loop 1 is a single bar, and you want loop 2 to be 4 repetitions of that
basic loop with a 4 bar bass line running over the top, you do that with
the same two button presses as you would to have used to record them as
equal in length. (Next -> Multiply)  The copies of your basic first loop
are made automatically as you overdub your new bass line loop, same as if
you were Multiplying into the new loop. And if while you are playing your
bass line you get another idea and want to play longer to get an 8 bar
line, you just go ahead. Or 9 bars or whatever. You can stop the whole
copy/multiply process whenever you want and nothing has to be preset ahead
of time. The result is a simple loop in loop 1, and a variation on that in
loop 2. Of course, you could create more variations in other loops, so you
have several different places to switch among.

You do this by either using the automatic loop copy function or the more
manual style of loop copy. Either way is fast, but the auto copy way means
you hardly have to concentrate on what the echoplex is doing at all. The
more manual copy gives you much more flexibility and control.

Do it like this: Set the loop copy parameter to be on (LoopCopy = SND for
sound), and set up multiple loops with the "MoreLoops" parameter to
however
many loops you think you need. To record your basic loop, just tap record,
play, and tap record again to finish. Now your basic loop is playing.
Anytime you press NextLoop to switch to an empty loop the echoplex will
automatically begin copying your current loop into the new loop, while
adding new material on top at the same time. It works exactly like the
multiply function, so you can immediately be adding new material on top as
the echoplex creates multiples the copies underneath. So when you are
ready
to record your bass line, press NextLoop and begin playing it. Your first
loop will continue smoothly looping under you with no interruption as it
is
copying into loop 2, and your bass line is being recorded on top of it.
When you finish playing your bass line, press Multiply to end. It's fine
press a little early, because the echoplex again keeps your life simple by
rounding out to the end of your basic loop. So now, with just two button
presses you've got a basic loop in Loop 1, and the basic loop + bass line
in loop 2. Switch back and forth between them to give the effect of having
multiple tracks.

The more manual type of loop copy gives you more flexibility. In this
case,
you leave the LoopCopy parameter off, because we don't want to go into
copying automatically. Turn the SwitchQuant parameter on, and set the
MoreLoops to however many loops you want. SwitchQuant is important because
this forces the echoplex to wait until the end of your current loop before
switching into a new loop. If you press NextLoop early, you have a waiting
period there where you can tell it what functions to go into immediately
when it gets to the new loop. This is helpful, because you can use this
time to select which loop to switch to, or you can tell it to begin
recording in the new loop immediately, or begin copying there, or overdub,
etc.

So using this method you record your basic loop in loop 1 just like
before.
Somewhere in the middle of the loop you press NextLoop to go into the
waiting period (you can press next some more during the wait period to
pick
which loop to go to, so you can select any loop). Press the Multiply
button
to tell it you want to copy in the new loop. When it switches, start
playing your new part. The echoplex will be smoothly creating multiple
copies of the basic loop under you. Press Multiply again when you are
done.
Now you have a basic loop in loop 1, and multiples of the basic loop plus
bass line in loop two.

Now say you want to have a completely different chorus section in Loop 3.
You can tell the echoplex to switch to Loop 3 and be immediately recording
when it switches. Record your chorus section when you get there. Then you
can switch back and forth between all of these parts. You can also use the
time copy function to tell the echoplex that you want the length of this
chorus loop to be related to the original loop, either the same length or
multiple length. Any of this just takes two buttons, and all happens
seamlessly and continuously as play.

hope this helps,

kim