Re: Octophonic sound system

At 11:49 PM +0200 6/28/01, Junkie G wrote:

>       i think this conceptual matter is
>       not yet clear for me ...
>       what we understand by 3D Audio ?

"3D audio" or "3D sound" are probably bad terms because they are used
by different people to mean different things.

If we use a visual analogy, 3D sound should probably mean sound in
three dimensions as represented by an XYZ coordinate system. That
would mean that binaural headphone sound or sound coming from a
stereo pair of loudspeakers would be one-dimensional sound, and a
standard 5.1 planar setup would be two-dimensional sound. Only if we
add overhead speakers would we truly have three-dimensional sound.

Of course the situation is confounded when we add artificial
reverberation or related processing to the signal, because this is an
attempt to simulate spatial depth. However, even with very good
psychoacoustic processing it is only a simulation of two-dimensional
sound using a one-dimensional delivery system (I have yet to hear a
convincing illusion of height from a binaural or even a surround
system).

Therefore I think it's better to talk about "multichannel surround
sound," for the sake of clarity.

Even then there are many different approaches.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com