Re: OT: Tabla loops, samples and my Indian Rhythm mistatements

In a message dated 6/22/2001 5:25:40 AM, GLOBAL@cruzio.com writes:

<< though don't get some african or indian
musicians or, worse yet, students of african or indian musicians who are
not
originally from the culture going on this subject........it'll never end >>

haha, thats so true... I think when you brush aside all of the theory
which
is important and has its place you find that the only thing left is the
most
important... the beat... whether it is indian or african or brazilian etc
etc... the beat started somewhere and you can find as many similarities as
differences when you look closely at drumming in many cultures... as
someone
who studies north indian classical drumming I have had many a conversation
about this with my instructor because I began drumming on kit and soon
picked
up djembe and for a few years now have been strictly studying tabla... I
find
that my djembe playing is now pretty different and largely influenced by
tabla.

Im  glad to learn that there are many drumming musicians on the list!!!

off to work,
K.