Fwd: Announcing HIGH ZERO 2001, Sept 13-16

It's not a Loopers' Fest but it's definitely an East Coast Festival
where you can hear not only looping but a whole universe of strange
and wonderful sounds! I know because I was in it last year and the
year before...A truly amazing and inspiring event.

Best regards,
Eric

>To: mangkunegaran@hotmail.com
>Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:39:06 -0400
>From: "HIGH ZERO" <high_zero@lycos.com>
>Subject: Announcing HIGH ZERO 2001, Sept 13-16
>
>HIGH ZERO
>3rd Annual Festival of
>Experimental Improvised Music
>Baltimore, 2001
>
>Thursday Sept. 13th-Sunday, Sept. 16th
>The Theater Project
>45 West Preston Street
>Baltimore, Maryland
>http://www.highzero.org
>
>A dazzling mix of innovation, imagination, and integrity now in its
>third year, the HIGH ZERO festival is one of the most idealistic and
>elevating experimental music ventures in North America. Join us in
>September for four exhilarating days of musical exploration!
>
>Our Mission
>A unique festival in North America, HIGH ZERO is focused solely on
>new collaborations in freely improvised experimental music.
>Internationally famous musicians play side by side with younger
>ìunknowns,î united by their commitment to the musical imagination.
>For four days in September each year, Baltimore becomes a fertile
>meeting-ground for a group of inspired players drawing from an
>international subculture. The festival exposes large audiences to
>this radical music in its pure form. Each year, dedicated musicians
>and sound-artists come as individuals to participate in entirely new
>improvised collaborations.
>
>The festival exposes large audiences to this radical music in its
>pure form. Large-scale public concerts, recording sessions,
>workshops, and guerilla street performances are all part of the
>heady mix. The players are carefully selected by the festival's
>organizers for their refined, unique music, whether it is based
>around dramatic intensity, humor, specially designed and built
>instruments, original approach, raw sound, or nearly superhuman
>instrumental technique. The resulting collaborations challenge the
>limits of music and delight by their audacity, expressiveness,
>immediacy, and innovation. It isn't about stars or bands; it is
>about the most uncompromising and stimulating improvised music we
>can bring together.
>
>Why Baltimore?
>Now in its third year, HIGH ZERO is a grassroots-organized event and
>brainchild of the critically acclaimed (and unfunded) RED ROOM
>performance space, an ongoing series which has hosted over 300
>performances of experimental music since it began in 1996. (See
>www.redroom.org on the web.) Avant-garde music in North America is
>often played in small clubs and art galleries like the RED ROOM, but
>HIGH ZERO breaks through to a larger audience. Surprisingly, in
>recent years Baltimore has joined Chicago, New York, Seattle, San
>Francisco, and Montreal as a center for avant-garde musical activity
>in North America. HIGH ZERO, now in its third year, is an outgrowth
>of this unique development of Baltimore culture, and also a rare
> [...]

---------------------
Upcoming Performances, Broadcasts, Etc.:

Friday, June 22 at 9:00 pm Solo performance opening for Tiny Hairs
<http://www.tinyhairs.com>. 4612 N. Lincoln Avenue (next to the Davis
Theater). Phone (773) 728-5010.

New on Compact Disc: Winter Construction (dceo003)
A compilation of Chicago artists with accompanying zine featuring tracks
by MORA, Kyle Bruckmann, Eric Leonardson/Yasuhiro Otani, Rosenberg
Skronktet, Fred Lonberg-Holm, the Flying Luttenbachers, Ernst Karel/
Brent Gutzeit/ Jason Soliday, Lozenge, Metallux, TV Pow, and others...
available on-line <http://www.deadceo.com/>.

Listen to the High Zero 2000 Documentation Site
http://www.highzero.org/highzero2000documentation/index.htm

More info on the web: <http://pages.ripco.net/~eleon>