Re: [ElectronicMusic] mp3.com

At first I didn't mind the change. I didn't think enough artists would be
convinced in paying $20 per month. That's enough money to have your own
webspace hosted somewhere, and to build a completely custom site with all
the mp3's you want. It simply wasn't a good deal for artists.

Now they're requiring that you pay them $20 monthly if you want to get the
money that your music earns on mp3.com. It's almost a form of blackmail,
really. It would be similar to our employers saying we have to give them
$20
a month if we want to receive our paychecks. Since a lot of artists on
mp3.com (especially techno artists) make a couple hundred dollars a month
through the Payback 4 Playback system, they're all going to sign up. And
if
they don't sign up? No prob! Mp3.com gets to keep all their earnings.

This is really going to prevent mp3.com from getting new artists in the
long
run. I have songs that have been waiting a week to be posted, and they
very
well could be waiting for a lot longer. If non-paying artists (including
new
artists) are finding that they simply can't get their tracks posted on
mp3.com with out paying, they're going to go through another site. If
mp3.com keeps it up, they will cease to be a place to hear new music.

It's too bad, really. I was never a fan of their business practices, but
Mp3.com really did have the best interface of all the mp3 sites that I've
been to. It was the easiest to load songs into (up until they required
that
you fill out a 2 page survey about each song), the easiest to find music
you
like. And it has those user-created streaming radio stations that I like
so
much.

They probably wouldn't even have to resort to this if they didn't start
that
stupid "My mp3.com" service a couple of years ago, which got them sued by
most major record labels.

I'll certainly be checking out some of these other sites, but I think
Riffage.com is now out of business.

Matt