feedback goood, earache baaaad

I'll be in the position of finally getting some new equipment fairly soon,
so this is something I was curious about already, and am now especially
intrigued by. I've done shows before and the volume occasionally was a
problem because of ACCIDENTAL feedback, so I'm sure trying to use feedback
as the source itself is a major pain without some kind of device in the
chain. What would you recommend as far as compressors and limiters in the
say low hundreds range? In other words, what should I try to find used for
around or under $200, since I assume that like most gear anything new is
going to have a painful pricetag?

Thanks!

Jon