Re: MiniDisk & EQ - was Re: Loop Recording and Loading

Just a short $.02 on the MiniDisc thread:

I've been using MD for a few years and while I find the convenience of the
format and the random access great and I have no problem with the
compression issues, I do feel somewhat obligated to offer a minor caveat.

If any of you are considering the purchase of a Sony MDS-JE510 MD deck,
DON'T DO IT! Run, don't walk, away from this unit. I'm not slamming the MD
format at all; the 510, I found out too late, is notorious among repairmen
for a design flaw which causes the disc transport mechanism to jam, which
in turn destroys the plastic loading cogs and the overwrite head. My unit
has been on the bench several times, and getting Sony to honor their
warranty coverage is like pulling teeth.

Other than the mechanical problems with this particular model, I like the
sound and find the format very convenient. I just have to treat my 510 very
gingerly, which of course means that it's no longer part of my looping rig,
but stays at home.

Tim