Re: Line6 DL4

Max,

Thanks for your comments on the DL4...i will second his kudos to L6's
support department...they swapped out my DL4 real quick, too and
trusted me to mail back my original.

I am too fascinated by the DL4 and it's straightforward simplicity,
but lately have been increasingly frustrated in real-time situations.

How are you guys dealing with this?  For example.  If i'm in loop
mode, and i set the expression pedal to control the mix...fine...now
what if i catch a loop, bring back the mix a bit to drop the loop
down in volume...then bend down...turn up the pre-delay to bring in a
wash.  If i touch that expression pedal, now...the predelay is going
to be effected by that move...somehow...it all depends on "where that
pedal was when you moved which knob".

It's worse in delay mode.  As soon as you touch any knobs...you're
pretty much #*%!!&*'ed, are you not?  then you can't really touch the
expression pedal, or it starts manifesting any changes you made to
the knobs.  Also, what if you bring up a delay preset, but then need
to change the tap tempo...shit, we've gone over this before...the new
tap tempo is assigned to 'one' position of the pedal, and not the
other...try adjusting your MIX now (if that's what it's been set to
control)...you will get a fully whacked sound as your tap tempo goes
from the 'saved' one to the 'new' one you tapped in.

Furthermore...switching delay patches is wierd.  Let's say i have a
multi-head delay going, and i want to fade the mix out, then bring in
a reverse delay, as soon as i turn the model knob...i get sound!  the
mix is all the way down...but when you go to the new model...it's own
'preset' settings of the knobs, including the mix, comes up...so
you're quickly grabbing the mix knob to turn it down by touching it
really quick.

I have been enjoying it more as a tabletop delay modeler for
recording than anything else, lately...but then, i've been just
recording more than playing live, lately.  which brings up another
question...the DL4's inputs are very sensitive and it is easy to clip
it.

If i'm using it in the fx loop of my mixer, should i run the fx send
all the way up, then use some sort of level switcher to bring it down
to passive level, then into the DL4, then back to a couple of input
channels?  Or should i just barely turn up the fx send in order to
keep from clipping, then bring back the output from the DL4 to the fx
returns (this is the way i've been doing it lately, with
semi-satisfactory results...can't seem to get a real full delay sound)

any thoughts would be helpful,

rich