Re: look: it's every on-topic!

At 1:51 AM -0800 2/26/01, Michael P. Hughes, PhD wrote:
>Max:> well...IMO nothing really compares to it in that price range. Much
>better
>> quality than the Akai Headrush. It has better sound quality than the
>JamMan,
>> and allows to do reverse and half speed/double speed loops. Sure, it is
>ONLY
>> 14 sec. of loop time (28 sec in half speed/bandwidth mode) but I have
>found
>> that to be plenty.
>
>Am I right in thinking it has fixed feedback?
>
>Mike

that's right. to me that's the biggest limitation of the dl-4. Without a
live feedback control you can't easily evolve a loop from one point to
another. You can only build it up with overdubs, and then kill that loop
and start another. I think some reviews of looping performances have
complained of that, there tended to be jarring discontinuities from one
loop to another and things did not flow together so well. I assume those
performances were done with loopers like the dl-4 that don't have a
feedback control.

To me, feedback control is such a fundamental technique of looping that not
having it is like painting without the color blue. I'm consistently amazed
at how many looping devices come out and don't have this feature.

kim