Re: Jimi

At 7:34 PM -0800 2/25/01, scott kungha drengsen wrote:
>don't think one can consider David Torn,Bill Frissell,Terje Rypdal,Nels
>Cline,or

I guess part of what I'm saying is that people like that are interesting in
terms of using a guitar in conjunction with loops, but in the overall
scheme of loops used in music, they seem rather minor in comparison to
others.

>Gibson's interest or ability to sell the Echoplex without some
>acknowlegdement of Hendrix.

Well, I was actually there for Gibson's decisions regarding the echoplex,
and I can assure you that Hendrix' name did not come up. If we had been
thinking Hendrix, we would have been making vintage wahs and fuzz pedals
since that was the big trend in music gear at the time. A lot of people
there were very much involved in "new music" or whatever we've decided to
call it, and the influence of composers like Paul Dresher, Pauline
Oliveros, Eno, Terry Riley, etc was much more  a part of their thinking.
Another big part of it was the obviously huge role that hip-hop and
electronic dance music and dj-culture were playing in the music world by
the early 90's. Much of what we were working on revolved around real-time
electronic instruments, intended for performing. It seemed natural that all
of this loop and sample-oriented popular music was going to influence
various instrumentalists to want to do these things live, so a real-time
sampler/looper seemed like a great product idea to connect to that. I would
say somebody like Al Jourgenssen would be much more of an influence there
at a guitar company, since he was one of the first people really making it
popular for heavily guitar oriented music to make major use of sampling and
loops. So our line of thinking was more, "hey, you can do Ministry live!"
And lastly, the echoplex was just ridiculously fun to use, and everybody
who saw it thought it was a blast, and that seemed like reason enough....
Now I suppose you could make some Hendrix connection there if you try hard
enough (six degrees of jimi....), but it was really pretty far removed from
anybody's mind. If anything we were going the opposite way: get away from
the vintage thing and create something new that reflects modern trends in
music.

Well, that's not 100% correct when I think about it. Adding reverse was
definitely a Hendrix backwards-guitar sort of an idea. But if you know
about the crazy way reverse is implemented on the echoplex, you can tell
that it was an afterthought.

kim