Re: Jimi

At 9:41 PM +0000 2/25/01, Simon Kean wrote:
>  > At 11:32 AM -0800 2/25/01, scott kungha drengsen wrote:
>>
>>  >  We wouldn't have this forum if it weren't for Jimi Hendrix.
>>
>>  That's arguable.
>>
>>  Repetitive, loop and delay-based, and other process music certainly
>>  predates Hendrix, and I daresay a majority of us would have ended up
>>  in a similar musical place without his influence.
>>  --
>
>Completely hypothetical argument on both sides. The opinions expressed,
>while both have merit, are completely speculative.

Not "completely hypothetical" in my case personally. I was listening
to avant garde, electronic, and loop music before I ever heard of
Hendrix, so although I was really impressed by his work I can't say
that it was necessarily a formative experience for me. I reacted too
strongly to Scott's sweeping pronouncement and responded with a
generalization of my own. I just know that most of my colleagues have
a broader range of influences than that.

Richard Zvonar, PhD                     zvonar@zvonar.com
(818) 788-2202 voice                    zvonar@LCSaudio.com
(818) 788-2203 fax                      zvonar@well.com

                 http://www.zvonar.com