Re: 1U PC for Kyma (was Re: Llive llooping, Cardiff, Wales)

> hadn't thought of that.
> fan noise is directly related to air velocity
> smaller aperture = faster velocity.
> there may be little to fix that.
> of course, clubs tend to be pretty noisy,
> but for ambient stuff in coffee house/gallery it could
> be pretty annoying...

Not to mention that you're going to be using this in your living
room/rehearsal space too. The rackmount machine sitting at the other end of
my cubicle is too loud for anything but a club - it's more than annoying;
you couldn't perform. I'd listen to the machine before you buy it, or,
prepare to replace the power supply. Make sure that it takes ATX style
power
supplies, so you can easily find a non-server style replacement.

The biggest source of noise in my desktop-style pc are the cpu fans, and
the
disk drives. It never ends!!

bIz