RE: very: Re: "out" is out itself

Title: RE: very: Re: "out" is out itself

Nope, merely reacting to the kind of closed-mindedness that pervades the
music biz as some kind of qualification process.  All too easy to think of
it as one big happy family when one's included perhaps.

** often not just the folks in the entertainment biz!!!!!!

> >and since such people always
> >have some claim to the pulse of the public, we should all bow down, admit
> >how right they are, and follow their "hip" example/instructions.
Bullocks!
> > Bolshoi!  (expletive debated but deleted)
> i agree, sorta/kinda:
> though i think it can be aesthetically 'enlightening', somehow, to allow
> oneself to weigh *all* kindsa folks' opinions on things 'artistic', esp.
when
> they don't agree w/one's own; hmmmm.....

Simply thinking that I'm downing someone else's opinion because it's
different than mine is less than open-minded on its own.

** ya know . . . i think the point was that even "criticism" of what we do - - especially the stuff that we disagree with - - can be useful in helping us hone our artistry. some of my favorite reviewd have been negative as they showed tha ti hit a nerve. i don't think that the comment was directed at anyone who was on the thread.

What I was talking
about was the way the music biz operates on a level of manditory
classification, and how many critics in the press act more as promoters for
that thought process than actual examiners of art.  This aspect is one that
causes us all trouble in getting heard, sold, played, you name it.

** well you're right about that!! but some of it is just that the crits don't understand/like - - their is no monetary/industry incentive. also, you know there are some people who are pissed when crits champion something that the reader thinks is the emperor's new clothes. poor crits, hated by the vanguard and by the hoi-polloi (only half kidding here!)

stig