OT: Re: audience for 'out' music = derivitative of jazz

i think that it may have been chleduc@total.net who wrote:
>And there was the question 'is it all derivitive of jazz'. If you've never
>heard Ornette or Coltrane, how can it influence you?
well, uhhh..... that *was* meant to be a *rhetorical* question, right?
*-()
if not, well,
i would present that threads of strong musical influence may be more
elaborate than you'd previously considered.
it seems reasonable, to me, that:
any musician that *you've* heard & been influenced by, who, themselves
were
influenced by (& educated-by-proxy-by) someone(s) (like ornette or
coltrane)
is necessarily passing on whatall they gleaned from *their* influence to
*you* (albeit, through their own set of aesthetic/technical filters).
music is, after all, a veritable weave through culture/time/community.....

so, musical *influence* might pass, thusly:
ornette>lee ranaldo>you, or
ornette>page hamilton>you, or
miles davis>lee perry>squarepusher>you, or
eric dolphy>the boredoms>you.
maybe these aren't the greatest examples, but.....
therein lies the basis for my interruptive opining.
best,
dt / SPLaTTeRCeLL