Re: "out" music = derivitive of jazz?

>Also, in much music being made today that I think fits into what we're
>discussing, there's sparks from John Fahey, Derek Bailey, Morton Feldman,
>Steve Reich, Morton Subotnick, Karlheinz Stockhausen, LaMonte Young,
>Captain Beefheart, Velvet Underground, Tony Conrad, John Cage; a whole
>list
>of what might be called "outsider music", where the practioners where
>working outside of the commonly held values of genre.  There's a lot of
>wild and woolly shit out there, much of it really worth hearing.  Of
>course
>that still includes Miles, Mingus, Coleman, Coltrane, Dolphy, etc...
>(hell,
>let's throw in Ellington, Art Tatum, James P. Johnson...)

In my original post, the artists I was referring to (Dave Douglas, Stig's
group, etc.) do have a strong connection to the jazz tradition. But the
point I was trying to make was that this stuff that we refer to as "new"
music has really been around for 40+ years, and the quote above bears this
out: All the artists you list were active in the '60's, some even in the
'50's.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org
New & Improv Media
http://www.newandimprov.com
Now available: Admiral Twinkle Devil: Wabi Dub