Re: "out" music = derivitive of jazz?

----- Original Message -----
From: "matt davignon" <mattdavignon@hotmail.com>

> Sure, I can see how many of the groups and musicians that were listed on
the
> original post (Thrill Jockey, Masada, Zorn, Tom Waits, etc...) come from
> jazz background, but not everything that's "new" and "out there" is
derived
> particularly from a few jazz albums released in the 60's, is it?

A lot of "out" or "experimental" music that came after that 60's music was
at least influenced by it.  Maybe you don't listen to that stuff, but a lot
of the artists that you admire probably have.  Nothing ever springs to the
surface without any context.  The 60's out jazz has it's roots in earlier
music as well.  It's a continuum...

    Kevin

Unit Circle Media
http://www.unitcircle.com