Re: "out" music = derivitive of jazz?

No, and the very examples you mention are a perfect start for
elaboration.  Thrill Jockey - well, that's a label, but if you say
Tortoise, you've got dub, Steve Reich, a certain amount of prog-rock, a
certain amount of Autechre, and some good ole'  indie rock.  Sea & Cake
could bring up Velvet Undergound and A.C. Jobim.  Town & Country harks to
Morton Feldman.  What makes Masada interesting (to me anyway) is not that
they sound like a 60's Ornette Coleman Quartet, but that they're so based
in traditional Jewish music.  Tom Waits pulls in so much blues and
theatrical things - Kurt Weill.

Also, in much music being made today that I think fits into what we're
discussing, there's sparks from John Fahey, Derek Bailey, Morton Feldman,
Steve Reich, Morton Subotnick, Karlheinz Stockhausen, LaMonte Young,
Captain Beefheart, Velvet Underground, Tony Conrad, John Cage; a whole
list
of what might be called "outsider music", where the practioners where
working outside of the commonly held values of genre.  There's a lot of
wild and woolly shit out there, much of it really worth hearing.  Of
course
that still includes Miles, Mingus, Coleman, Coltrane, Dolphy, etc...
(hell,
let's throw in Ellington, Art Tatum, James P. Johnson...)

Matt