RE: stig's gig -- AND -- an audience for "new music"?

Title: RE: stig's gig -- AND -- an audience for "new music"?

No no no, not at all...  I had meant to say Hi at some point, but after
the gig I was just trying to absorb everything I'd just heard.

** cool. i think that i made hello noises to some people at the table you were sitting at (?).

Also keep in mind that I'm a guitar player who had just spent several
hours listening to Nels Cline, so my brain was delightfully but
hopelessly scrambled by that point.

** usually, he just uses the whisk on the guitar . . .

I know -- Jeez, man, what were you guys thinking?!  A few more gigs like
that and Wynton Marsalis might have a nervous breakdown!  For God's
sake, what would Ken Burns say?!

** i should be so lucky. they'd make a bio pic of us.

It could just be my imagination, but it seems like there's actually an
increasing receptiveness for "new" music on the part of a lot of
listeners these days.  I keep thinking of the cross-breeding that's been
going on between some of the "post-rock" or "alternative" schools of
thought with "new music" over the last few years -- Jim O'Rourke, Thrill
Jockey records, John Fahey, the Fibbers, the Sonic Youth EPs, etc.

** yeah, i think there's a lot of truth in that. and noise is creeping into a lot of popular music - - bjork tends to use some for instance, radiohead seems to have incorporated some as well. back at the alligator series, there seemed to be a lot of younger folks coming to it.

The opening of the Knit on Hollywood Blvd, corporate-tinged though it
might be, seems like a somewhat hopeful sign.

** it's going to be interesting to see what is gonna happen with the knit. there are some rumors that m. dorf has filed chapter 11 in nyc  - - so restructrung, etc.? tonic and some other places have taken the knit audience and performers in nyc, he sank a lot of money into the hollywood knit . . . i'm interested to see how it'll fare.

There were so many people
in their early to mid-'20s at the gig who were COMPLETELY into the show,
and I can't imagine that many of them had a serious history of "out"
listening (though I could be wrong, certainly).  Any thoughts on this?

** i too doubt that there is a serious "out" history. that being said, the (barely post-) college-age human would seem to be more likely to be a candidate for this sort of thing - - they're in the searching age . . . mostly, when people get to my age, they're pretty set in there ways (ya know house in the 'burbs, kids - - hey that's me). my guess is that the venues that cater to folks like that are more likely to also house folks like us playing at 'em. also, i wonder how much of it has to do with the guitar thang . ..

** i'm just grateful that some people seem to like it as some point - - makes the voyage to obscurity a little easier  . . . the other shocking thing was that i sold a mess of cds - - coulda pushed me over . . .

OK, now I'm going to see if I can work up the nerve to pick up my guitar
after last night...

** you'll rock . . .

stig