OT: Re: Yamaha 01V

The 01V only has a single slot for one mini YGDAI card, so you have
to choose between ADAT, TDIF, AES, or more analog I/O.

We have a dozen of them at work for Avid monitor mixers/MIDI faders.
They do provide a lot of functionality at a good price, although I
find the dynamics processing less-than-subtle and the effects routing
just-OK.

There are a lot of submenus on a small LCD, but once you get used to
it it isn't too hard to jump around. I made the mistake of mixing an
elaborate multichannel theater piece live on the 01V's big brother
(the 03D) once, and will never do that again, at least not without a
complete Max automation front end.

One on-topic anecdote:  I don't make a distinction between "control
room" and "studio" in my work space, so when I was doing loops of
flute key clicks for a project, the 03D was in proximity to a
high-gain mic. I kept hearing these odd sounding clicks jump out in
the loop, and spent way too long bugging the flutist until we
realized it was acoustic noise from the motorized faders. When you
switch the fader bank from level control to aux send control, the
faders all move to represent the current settings, which is nice, but
beware that clacking noise when they hit the end of their slots!

-Alex S.