Oberheim DX Drum Machine Question

Hello all-

All this SR-16 talk brings to mind a question about my beloved Oberheim
DX drum machines.  I know there are some older folks on the list, so
hopefully somebody here has experience with the DX.  (Just kidding.
Jeez!)

Is there a way to get the DX to start in record mode when slaved to
another device?  One of my machines has factory MIDI installed, in case
that helps.  Alternatively, is there a way to get it to always be in
record mode?

-Hans