RE: Repeater memory

Damon Langlois wrote, inspiringly:

>Repeater records and reads in real time straight to and from the CFC card.
>However, different CFC card manufacturers have different write speeds so
>there might be some limitations with certain cards. Things like time
>stretch
>or pitch shift ranges could be bigger when a loop is in internal memory
>then
>when on CFC. That said, some of the newer cards coming out look like they
>will have little or no difference in speed with the internal memory. When
>all is said and done we will provide more information on which cards are
>the
>best.

Now, this IS interesting.

To do this the software must

-- detect the speed of the memory card
-- restrict the maximum stretch/shift ranges
    depending on how much memory == audio == loops == tracks
    the card can deliver at once.

example:

   Suppose some memory card can deliver the equivalent of 6 channels
of audio at once.

   Then you could have four loops at normal speed (memory delivers 4
channels)
   but not four loops at double speed (memory delivers 8 channels).

Does this make sense?

Of course, these ultra-low speed loops we are talking about before will use
up almost no memory bandwidth.

     This unit appears to have all sorts of charms.

MUSING:  Moore's law has memory getting 10 times larger every 5 years.

Full audio is 10 MB a minute.

Now: about $10 a minute for compact flash and $0.10 a minute for CD-R/W;

10 years pass:  about ~$0.10/min for memory, ~$0.001/min for disk
or ~$6/hr for memory and ~$0.06/hr for disk

RESULT:  If you had 100 CDs that were one hour long and you wanted
to bring them all in full form, you'd bring one six dollar disk, the end.

and that six bucks in memory will give you an hour of loops!

Imagine what a Repeater 5 might be like!

        /t

...electronic a cappella madness <http://volectrix.com>.........
...extreme internet radio        <http://extremeNY.com/radio>...