Re: preparation and processing - - shop talk

hi....my ABG is fretted (a special NAMM show constructed Washburn AB32
with
a Fishman Matrix system, Engelman spruce top and Rosewood back and sides
instead of the usual Mahogany). It also has the Buzz Feiten tuning system.
opted to go with fretted as I was working out a lot of chordal bass
things,
and for some reason prefer the 4 string instrument...perhaps due to
fretboard size. But, I have had my heart set on a Rick Turner/Renaissance
acoustic/electric now for a while (they are absolutely the best bass I
have
ever played) and after doing the Solo BAss Looping Festival in Santa Cruz
with Scott Kunga Drengsen and Steve Lawson have again fallen in love with
that fretless sound (why did I ever sell mine?)
I place the clips at different harmonic nodes to produce different
overtones. Down around the soundhole (on the ABG) are several very gamelan
like sounds (esp. on A and D strings). By attaching the clip so it hangs
over the string looslely, it will bounce off the next adjacent string
adding
still more percussiveness.  That same kind of placement on the G string
(on
a 4 string) produces a very passable industrial-trashy snare sound (it
really sounds much better than the SR16 "Trashy snare" sample).
I also use chop sticks and Funk Fingers (Tony Levin's Bass Drumsticks
which
attach to your fingers) to strike the strings both with and without the
clips.
On electric bass it also works...and I have even used the clips with an
E-bow (I use Thomastick Acoustic Bass Nylon/Bronze strings on the ABG so
the
E-bow doesn't work there).
Also...left hand muting while striking the strings with right hand for
further drum-like sounds...also works with clips attached. And using the
piezos actually hitting and tapping the body of the bass or the wooden
part
of the bridge. I also wear my wedding ring on my right ring finger (it
caused too many problems tapping the neck while chording on my left
hand)and
will use that to strike the string (combined with a left hand mute) to
make
a metallic side-stick sort of sound, or, at the right harmonic even a high
tabla sound. I use artificial harmonics a lot to add dimension to
drum-like
figures.
Loopy....Max Valentino