Re: cheating

Well, I've got to disagree with this one.  I saw a guy (that's how
memorable he
was to me) play at an experimental music series at Cell Space in SF.  He
was doing
very dance/techno stuff all by his lonesome on a laptop.  I was snoozing
after
about a minute.  His music wasn't bad at all, but frankly, it would have
been a
better performance if he'd just handed out a cd to us.

Now, I know that with all my switching from bass to guitar, and screwing
with drum
machines and keyboards, and various other devices, I am no party to watch.
 So,
what I do is augment my performances with slides and midi triggered video
projections.  If I can't do that,  I try to play gigs like art openings,
where I
am not the visual focus.  My pal Jason Mombert (who should be on this
list) and I
used to just pick movies (Tron was one of our favorites) and project them,
taking
bits of the soundtrack and utilizing it.  It seemed to work pretty well.

Mark Sottilaro