Re: Turn All That S**t Off

Hi gang.....
In regards to this whole thread about "Live vs. Recorded", I tend to not
look at my looping machines as recorders...or machines, for that matter,
but
as instruments in their own right.  Musical instruments that require an
outside sound source. I got into looping due to a penchant for audio as an
art form. Personally, using computers, tape reels, pre-recorded bits,
sequenced tracks, audio loops, or vats of marmalade makes no difference as
long as the result is creative.
Yet, in  a performance, there is that beast known as the audience. I do
not
wish to sound elitist or condescending, but most audiences (and I will
stress the most...or maybe a few less than most) don't recognize or
appreciate challenging music. It is not their fault. It is their
conditioning. Being spoon fed MTV, VH1 etc. and all the trappings of
"entertainment" and "show biz". In our society music is thought of as an
entertainment source.....and shallow, banal, homogenized sounds fill the
critera of musical entertainment if they are dressed up with enough glitz
and colored lights (or even spandex and blow dryers).  As performers we
must
recognize that part of what we do is entertainment.....but as artist we
can
use that "entertainment factor" to expose the general public to new forms
of
expression.....and even new technology.
A big part of the general audience really hates when musicians use
prerecorded tracks. That has been my experience.  It is not the technology
used really...but that it is canned.  They feel they are somehow being
cheated.  Another part is completely oblivious to tracks being used. And
most just don't care, as long as the show sounds like the CD. They have
come
to expect a live performance to be exactly like a recorded one (partly due
to the fact that many live performances are recorded
performances....someone
was talking about the superbowl?) Really, that's not bad....it is merely
entertainment; show biz.  Like going to see an action movie....escapist
entertainment, dazzling effects...but a lasting piece of art?
But "playing" recordings, as opposed to "playing to recordings"...that can
be both entertaining and artistically fulfilling. And that what, IMHO,
looping is all about.
In my performances, I have found that doing something gives the audience
their entertainment factor. Using sequences may have superior sonic
results,
but creating loops live and onstage, factors in the risk element,
demonstrates a manual operation of sorts.....and really pushes the
audience
to accept and understand more.
In the past year I have spoke to audiences at my shows who originally
asked
"so all of that is recorded?" to now being very curious of how all that
sound comes from a bass. Thusly, they become more accepting of this new
form, and they become more accepting of challenging musical ideas. And
this
happens very quickly....in the period of one 45min. set, I have seen (and
felt) audience reactions change from being hestitant (even openly opposed
to) the entire concept of using loops and digital fx, to being quite
engaged
in the performance (and openly excited by the challenges the performer has
placed on them). And that is a very wonderful experience.
That taught me that the same "genaral public" I spoke of, while they are
spoon fed all of this homogenized "entertainment", wants to be challenged.

We tend, as artist, to sometimes not expect too much from our audience,
but
maybe we, as artist, should expect more.
oh....that's a bit more than two cents.
Max Valentino