Zendrums for melodic looping

Title: Zendrums for melodic looping

From: "Jon Wagner" <jondrums@hotmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:22:57 -0000
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
> Subject: Re: Integrity of Performance and the Sample
>
>> But then I took it one step further: I began using my acoustic bass guitar
>> more for solo/loop stuff, and began playing the body of the bass as a
>> percussion instrument and making loops in real time with that.  Now I
>> prepare the bass with aligator clips for faux gamelan type sounds, use
>> chopsticks, different muting techniques, and, of course, sound processing
>> to alter the timbres.
>
> Max, others:
> I have found myself in exactly the oposite position!  I am a
> drummer/percussionist trying to find ways to include melodies and harmonies
> in my performance.  I am thouroughly opposed to using prerecorded
> samples/loops because I passionately believe that live performance is
> incredible powerful.  So I find myself in the position of wishing for more
> melodic possibilities using percussion.  I am in conflict between my
> minamalist nature and my wish for more molodic possibilities, which keeps me
> from going out and buying a marimba or similar.  By minimalist, I mean I
> don't believe in thinking that I need to go buy something new so that I can
> make _good_ music.  I believe that I can make music with whatever I have at
> the moment.  So I have been working on techniques to get tones out of my
> drums.  I have also been trying to (gasp!) sing, chant, and use body music
> (I never thought I had even a passable voice, but I'm finding ways to use
> it).
> I would love to hear ideas that other people have in this vein.  Max: you
> might try some ideas that have worked for me in the past - actually use your
> body to make rhythms.  Stomp your feet, clap your hands, slap your knees,
> whistle, hum, and make farting noises under your armpit....  Of course this
> requires a microphone, but think of the possibilities.  I think this sort of
> thing could really endear you to the audience because these are things
> everyone can do.  Plus you can practice these techniques anywhere!
> bye-
> jon

Jon, I to am a percussionist and looper but I am fortunate to have Zendrums to get not only drum and percussion samples in the loop but also melodic elements from various sound sources. Currently I'm  "downsizing "at the moment. Everything will be in a 6 space rack with a powermodule, old Korg 6 channel line mixer( soon to be replaced by a Mackie 1202) the new EMU Planet Earth, my EDP and a roland Handsonic. The Planet Earth slams. Arpegiators, loops, beats, 64 voice and effects...great world stuff as well as melodic pads lead sounds. I highly recommend getting into a Zendrum especially for melodic stuff. Tom Roady