Re: Turn All That S**t Off

----- Original Message -----
<snip>
> Personally, I learned to take out all elements of my live show that I
can't
> make up on the spot. I've seen enough live shows with the musician(s)
> playing over a CD of pre-recorded music or a drum machine program that I
> made a personal vow never to put people through that myself. Most
musicians
> who I've seen play pre-recorded music at their shows seem to think that
>if
> the pre-recorded music parts are really dynamic and interesting, it will
> take away the turn-off of having pre-recorded music on stage. It doesn't.
In
> fact, it often makes it worse, since the musician winds up generating
>only
> tiny fraction of the music live.
>
> I know I'm stepping on a lot of toes here. I'm not saying this to attack
> anybody, it's more in the direction of trying to be constructive
discussion.
> A lot of audience members will be too polite to tell you this, so hear I
am
> giving an audience member's perspective.
>
> Matt

The very biggest reason I got into using electronics is that I can generate
accompaniment without the inconvenience of rehearsing/paying other fellow
musicians.  I am in the business of providing music/entertainment for
people, most of whom can't spell the circle of fifths or name a time
signature.  Most of the time they want the predictable, and they are
content
to hear me lean on electronics to play the song as they remember it.  Guess
it's the difference between art and commerce.  So here is what I wonder--
When people go to see their favorite dance/pop artist and they use prepared
audio (lip sync, MIDI/sampled background, et al), are they disappointed?
Is
the thrill of seeing them dance/perform and hearing the song the way they
are used to it enough to make it worth the tradeoff of not seeing musicians
playing the parts?
'Cause I think Matt's right, and that most musicians would rather not play
to tracks if they have the right musicians available.
Gary