Re: Turn All That S**t Off

At least some drum machines (maybe all?) let you program the phrases/loops
in real time. You just set up a click track (you can turn the click level
0 on mine), and build your rhythms from scratch. If you have to use a drum
machine in a solo performance, that seems like it would be the way to make
it the most interesting. Unless it's a rock song. I saw a musician named
Quintron who had triggers for electric snare and bass drums under his feet
while playing an organ. That worked really well, although it seemed to
lend
itself to simple rhythms. (Certainly not a complaint.)

Personally, I learned to take out all elements of my live show that I
can't
make up on the spot. I've seen enough live shows with the musician(s)
playing over a CD of pre-recorded music or a drum machine program that I
made a personal vow never to put people through that myself. Most
musicians
who I've seen play pre-recorded music at their shows seem to think that if
the pre-recorded music parts are really dynamic and interesting, it will
take away the turn-off of having pre-recorded music on stage. It doesn't.
In
fact, it often makes it worse, since the musician winds up generating only
tiny fraction of the music live.

I know I'm stepping on a lot of toes here. I'm not saying this to attack
anybody, it's more in the direction of trying to be constructive
discussion.
A lot of audience members will be too polite to tell you this, so hear I
am
giving an audience member's perspective.

Matt