Re: Integrity of Performance and the Sample

Hi....y'know I have had (recently) an very similar experience.  I perform
as
a solo bassist with loops as my accompaniment.  For a while I was using
many
pedal and rack effects to alter the sound of my basses (harmonizers,
delays,
'verbs etc.) and using two different drum machines with very polyrhymical
sequences loaded in.  I found at a number of performances when I Just
played
solo bass (or solo bass with loops) the audience was enthralled and
curious,
  but as soon as I hit the drum sequences 80% of them were lost....they
couldn't care less about the technology or how clever and complex the
rhythms were. To them, the performance became a type of lip-synch or even
Kareoke! I was very bummed over this happening time after time.
Then  spoke with my good friend Rick Walker (Loop.pooL), who besides being
very knowledgeable and persistent looper, is also a percussionist
extraordinaire. He offered me the advice of "playing" the drum
machines...that is to tap in the pattern rather than just footswitching on
sequence. It seems audience really do like seeing a musician play, even if
they are playing a machine (which all instruments are) or a mixing
board...or turntables et al.
But then I took it one step further: I began using my acoustic bass guitar
more for solo/loop stuff, and began playing the body of the bass as a
percussion instrument and making loops in real time with that.  Now I
prepare the bass with aligator clips for faux gamelan type sounds, use
chopsticks, different muting techniques, and, of course, sound processing
alter the timbres.  Certainly is not as drum-like as sequences or
pre-recorded drum loops, but the audience response has been
great! You could use a vocal mic and treatments to produce odd sounds and
create your rhythmic loops ion real time, rather than deal with the
publics'
dislike and distrust for technology......I have found that sometimes they
do
not understand the looping techniques, but they certainly appreciate
creativity in any form!
Loop-a-licious....Max Valentino