Re: looping tips and tricks 2001 - triggered gates

Been around for a while, but haven't seen a discussion on
triggered gating applications in this context.  Either something
you can do to loops, or interesting source material for further
looping.  Good for bringing in a rhythmic element to dense
textured loops, as well as de-densifying them somewhat.

Basic permutation:
Use a triggered gate and feed the wet output of one delay line
(or loop, or drum machine, etc) into the trigger input, and the
output of your looper to the gated input.  The triggering input
signal ought to have distinct peaks (no dense drones), or it
won't be a good trigger.  I've found that damped strings and
pick noise work well enough (and is MUCHO fun), as well as the
obivous drum machines/loops, rope-on-a-stick (with piezo
pickups), etc.

Wackier permutations:
Use TWO triggered gates and trigger sources as above.

Variation One: use the same trigger signal to alternately open
and close two separate gates with different source signals.

Variation Two: Polyrhythms, use two entirely different
triggers/gated signals.

It gets out of hand from there ....

My first experiment with this was when I was working in a small
project recording studio.  We close-miked a trap set and then
used aux sends to feed the different drums to delay units that
fed triggered gates operating on a variety of other signals,
guitars, keyboards, etc.  Really messy, not very musical at
times, but loads of laughs, I gotta tell ya.

Best,

Mike