looper interfaces (was: new "radiaL" from Cycling '74)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Pask" <andrew@kaleidacousticon.com>
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: new "radiaL" from Cycling '74
> I was talking with the programmers down there
> about what constituted the "ultimate looping app" and the idea for them is that
> there isn't one. The ultimate looping app doesn't exist because  the specifics
> of the music are the things which ultimately determine the configuration of the
> app, and these are changing all the time as the music evolves. So their idea is
> that the ultimate looping app (ULA) is one which is "customizable" to a large
> degree without giving away too much of the "still works while groping around for
> it in the dark on the bandstand" factor.

Precisely.  I have a set of tools for constructing loopers for the Kyma.  They're not complete but pretty close.  As a test, I'm trying to replicate the behavior of hardware loopers.  The replicated loopers aren't intended to replace the original boxes (it would be pretty stupid to replace a $200 box with a Kyma system!) but to enable the study of different user interfaces for loopers.  I believe the interface as important as the functionality.  After all, at some level the difference between a guitar and a violin is the user interface!

Dennis Leas
dennis@mdbs.com