RE: Some of It's Parts

Title: RE: Some of It's Parts

<<-Music itself is just vibrations of the atoms in the air...

No. There are lots of vibrations- not all are music.

** i think that he was defining music, not vibrations.

 Folks are much less likely to attend art openings where there is only red dripped
on Plexiglas. People  almost definitely won't pay 40 bucks to watch some
fool sit silently at a piano.

** while i may personally agree with your points here, others may not. in fact, i've gone to a lot of art openings where what *i* saw was "crap" - - and others saw "art." that is their right.

ya know, i told my wife about the whole brouhaha about my knit fact performance. she said that it reminded her of the people who were so pissed-off about the fauves when they first showed in paris: people said they painted like "wild beasts" (fauves), it wasn't "real" art, etc. (of course much the same had been said about van gogh and monet, too) . . . now people line up and pay big bucks for tickets to see huge retrospectives of the people who were in that scene. i don't expect anything like that to happen for me, but i do think that she has an interesting perspective on this general issue.

Whether you gather roots for breakfast, or live on the 14th floor; we're one
people, in the same gravity.

** while this sounds good in theory, i'm not sure how much water it really holds. i know people who don't think that indigenous musics from africa can't be music because they don't follow some dictionary definition of music that is based on western european aesthetics. i've met people that feel that western classical music ended with mozart's death.

Those speakers will also tell you why music no longer needs
harmony, rules of composition or rhythm. In fact, they'll try to make you
feel small if you don't agree.

** or maybe those speakers castigate you and try to make you feel small if they don't agree with what you say about other possibilities. that happens too ya know. it seems to come down to people of all persuasions wanting to make the "other" insignificant by virtue of its "faults" - - rather than validate it for its virtues.

That's why I like looping: You can't fool
people who have had a hand in creation. They know the difference between
noise and - - - uh, Something Musical.

** okay you lost me here . . . looping gives you more consciousness and some sort of omniscient perspective? how does that work? i loop (after my own fashion), some hear "noise"; others will loop and an audience member may hear "new-agey noodling" - - but it's all looping.

They know that banging someone with a
pipe doesn't become music until you add good intention.

** huh? please explain what you mean by this.

stig