Perception/excellence

Okay Lance. It’s a pleasure to deal with a disagreement so civilly framed.
I’ll try to respond in kind. I'll assume we've both read Plato, and you
know
I'm not suggesting that *what one perceives* is what is there- - -

<i don't mean to begrudge your point, but thinking it
<through implies there's an endpoint to the process.
<With this kind of topic i'm not sure one can ever
<fully "think" it through...

But that’s full circle. I AM suggesting there is an endpoint.

Is it really logical to say that EVERY *take* on a thing is as valid as
every other? I’ll spare you examples [Vision is a good one]- - they could
all be countered- —I just think not. I think, usually, statistically, the
majority of perceptions are distorted and downright false- and a minority
are closer to an accurate representation.

<how do you define "absolutely perfect"? is this not relative to your
<impression at that time? does everyone that hears it think so too? <can
your impression ever change?

Haven’t you experienced that? I sense you have. We all have. It doesn’t
mean
anyone has to agree, but it’s not a cryptic/intellectual point. In music
it
is very often so; like I said: many chords/words could work- - - but one
fits like hand-in-glove. You know it mathematically, emotionally,
physically- - - absolutely. Why should I deny my every
reason/instinct/feeling, and say, *Well, it’s good, but so would a lot of
other chords/words be good*?

<explain how a notion of excellence is necessarily at odds with a <view of
relativity?

I think the answer is in your sentence already. They’re mutually
exclusive.
Otherwise my *excellent* is your *mediocre* [or *shitty*].. and the words
must be, in time, abandoned because they will lose their meaning. Words
matter.

But I don’t dispute that my position is even more difficult to defend than
yours. There is logic in believing that excellence only exists in relation
to something else.

But one of us is closer to the [dreaded] Truth- - -

Take care,
Robb