Disappointed in DNA (was: Re: Disappointed in Hollywood (I WAS THERE TOO))

Hey Stephen,

It just goes to show that everything is relative.

I loved the evil noise that was DNA!  I have their 1st ep "A Taste of DNA"
and I really think that at least 2 of the members went on to do more
substantial music:   Arto Lindsay (guitars/voice) and Ikue Mori (then
drums
later drum machines now samplers/laptop) are both very experimental and
talented musicians and it seems only fitting that they would start off in
one of the worlds most horrible sounding bands.  I don't think that either
of them do much looping, but we all have to start somewhere and why not a
horrible anti-band?  Sometimes music can be so bad that it is endearing
(the
Shaggs also come to mind- but they never improved).  Now I want to get the
"No New York" compilation that was re-released in Japan, so I can relive
this period in time more fully.  I only mention "No New York" because Eno
produced the album and was part of the whole "No Wave" scene in New York
back in the early 80's.

Speaking of noisy loops of this era (80's) anyone have the Thurston Moore
(or was it Lee Renaldo) record with lock grooves?  I have to dig my copy
up
and start playing with it.  Maybe I'll steal something from it and loop it
on my Jamman or SP-808... then twist it some more...

Sometimes I find beauty in horror.

Nick Wilson

Stephen P. Goodman said:

I went to a benefit for The Kitchen (in NYC) waaay back in '81-82, a
two-night event at a former Bond's store-turned-club.  Billed as being
there
were David Byrne, Brian Eno, and a long list of avant-garde (do they still
use this term?) luminaries and anti-luminaries....

<snip>

Well, about 12.30 a band came on that was sort of an anti-band if you will.
It was DNA.  I recall that I thought it was just f%%king awful, no, BEYOND
that.  I was appalled at the abuse that the 'guitarist' (quotes in context)
hailed upon his guitar, just BANGING on it frankly.  A wall of noise.  Kind
of like anti-music.  It went on for oh, seemed like hours, but must've been
just 30 minutes.  I was so relieved and irritated when they were finished.
I thought of it as a typical example of pretentious New York City
pseudo-art.  I wished I wrote a column so I could crap all over these guys.