Re: Seeking enlightenment

Saybolt,

if you're using mics as signal sources, you won't get around using a mixer. As to the looper to choose, everything we heard suggests the soon-to-be-released (?) Electrix Repeater. The best time to add effects is normally after the looper, but if you're short on effects (most people are), it also makes sense to loop signals with effects already added.

Depending on how many effects (and which looper) you're using, there are different "optimum solutions". Using the repeater (which offers four ins and four outs), I'd suggest (using three effectors): Microphones into small mixer (i.e. Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro), the Alt 3/4 bus to the repeater (ins 1&2), the repeater outs 3&4 used with a stereo/twin mono effect (i.e. Ensoniq DP2), the outs 1&2 sent to the mixer, the other effects fed by the auxes (say, a vortex and another weird thing) and returned to the mixer, and the entire mix to the dj console. This way, you can connect four microphones (mixer channels 1-4), the repeater (stereo channel 5/6), and the two effects (7/8 and 9/10). Any source (microphones and the effects fed by the auxes) can be looped, the loop can be processed by the DP2, and any audio source (including the loops) can be processed by the two other effects. And you still have one stereo channel available, so the DJ can send you his output, which you can in turn include in your sonic madness. Anything is sent to the repeater via the Mute/Alt buttons, and can still be present in your main outs or not (assignable).

Of course, this works with other loopers too, I use a DL4 in a similair configuration with a larger console. Feel free to ask if you've got any questions left...

            Rainer

Moinlabs GFX and Soundworks - www.moinlabs.de
digital penis expert group - www.dpeg.de
The MoinSound Archives - www.mp3.com/moinlabs