Re: creative mixing: the mixer

Hi Luca,
    I can only speak from my experience, but I'm personally blown away
by the quality of the
Mackie pre-amps.   They are very, very loud with extemely low noise and
they are completely transparent.   If you want to add a little tube
warmth to them you can get
an ART single channel, tube pre-amp for only $100.  There tube
compressor is pretty nice too.    I'm a professional artist and
,consequently, I'm usually on a fairly limited budget.
With this set-up you can truly create a world class recording on a very
reasonable budget.
    I am also a professional producer and have the privilige to use a
lot of state of the art gear in different commercial recording studios.
It is true that a very experienced (and highly critical) listener will
be able to tell the difference between a Mackie board and a Neve console
in a perfect listening environment with state of the art
equipment...........a typical lay-person will NEVER hear it.   I say
"spend less and put more money into creating the art and getting it out
to the world".  After all, if you own a Jamman (I hate the inherent
sexism in that name) or an EDP the quality of the digital recording is
fairly retarded by current state of the art standards, anyway. I'm
actually very favorably impressed by the sound quality of the
LIne 6 modeler....enough so that I've recently purchased a second one to
augment my
three Jamperson live rig........I actually think they sound far better
than either the Lexicon or the Echoplex although, in fairness, my good
friend and EDP owner,  Michael Haumesser in  Rhode Island disagrees with
me on this one.   My point is, I defy anyone to hear a recording using
almost any of the good looping devices on the market today (excluding
high end samplers which cannot loop in real time) and be able to tell
you which looper that they are hearing.   This 'fact' is the leveller of
all fields.

    My vote is for the Mackie (all kudos to Allen and Heath).   Also, if
you are in the states
(please forgive me, I've forgotten) it will be much easier to get the
Mackie serviced and vice versa, if you live outside of the states.

    Good luck,      yours,    Rick Walker  (Loop.pooL...........for now)

p.s.  for list members, a mockup of my new website is finally up
at:

http://angelfire.com/electronic/garyseven/itsit.html

This will not be it's eventual home (ooooooh,  I hate banner ads   8-)
as I'm currently
searching for a good domain name (looppool.com and looppool.net being
taken and
the fact that I can't call myself a non-profit for the old looppool.org
scene even though, functionally, I am a non-profit).   Special thanks to
my beautiful and talented wife for teaching herself HTML and designing
this page for me.