Re: Automated Patch Bays - Question

At 12:28 PM -0500 10/23/00, Dennis Leas wrote:
> [...]

Yes I do, although in the never ending quest for a very portable, no
compromise system it is probably going up for sale soon as well.

>I'm still spec'ing out a new system and I'm leaning toward a Yamaha 01V
>(non-quad panning but quite a bit cheaper than the 03D).  I'm thinking
>that
>I probably don't need an automated (i.e., MIDI controllable) patch bay and
>use instead the MIDI controllable sends/receives on the 01V.  So I could
>save on buying a Switchblade et al.
>
>As an owner/user of both M.O.s, what's your thoughts on this?

Yes, I use the Yamaha as a router as much as a mixer. I just wish
there were more sends, since I like to have everything including
multliple outboard effects devices as well as multichannel looping on
sends for maximum flexibility.

The Yamaha DME32 is a very interesting alternative. It's basically
the DSP of an 03D or 02R in a rack mount box, and you can freely
define your own signal path. It's about the same price as an 03D and
seems very well suited to the kind of matrix mixing and processing
that loopers often want.

Having said all that, it is still true that the old analog rack felt
more like an "instrument" whereas the Yamaha-based rig feels more
like a "studio". Since one of my main goals is to erase the
distinction anyway, I am not sure exactly what I mean by that, but it
may have something to do with *too much* real-time control.

-Alex