Psychoacoustics (was: Noises through pickups (rather gongs...))

> Something is making the sound.

Actually, nothing is making the sound.  It's a psychoacoustic effect.
We're programmed to hear a fundamental and a series of overtones.  When
some of that information is missing, we're able to synthesize it, even
though it does not physically exist.  It's been mentioned before in
advantage to produce more harmonics and bigger bass, without altering the
actual level of the program material.  Same with tiny bookshelf speakers
that produce an amazing amount of bass.  It's just not there, though you
will hear it.