Re: Yamaha AW4416 vs. Roland VS-1880: Recommendations?

I'm in the same boat, looking at all the pretty 16tracks out there...

I was veering towards the Akai until i saw the Yamaha.  I know the
01V is somewhat of an industry standard, and i think the 4416's mixer
section is based off the 01V.  My big wish is for scrubbing.  I've
gotten accustomed to cutting and pasting on my current unit (Fostex
DMT8vl) by 'listening' and setting my locators.  i'm still getting
used to this waveform editing thing.  I may be wrong, but i don't
think the 1880 does 'scrubbing'.  I have heard that the 4416 does,
and that the Akai does as well.

I got to see the 4416 last week for the first time, rather than just
seeing pictures, and it's a really nice looking machine.  Heftier
price tag, sure, but it looks like a good working interface.  It's on
my wish list for next year...

God, by that time they'll probably have portable 48 tracks with built
in DVD burners....

I catch myself wondering...If you walked into a music store 15 years
ago and said, "Hi, i would like a 16track recorder with 4 stereo
effects processors, midi synching, mastering ability, virtual tracks,
backup ability, scrubbing, mic pre's, phantom power, and direct cd
burning...oh, and i want to save and recall my routing, eq, and fx
setups...and i don't want to spend more than $3,000..."

you would hear the laughing all the way back to your car.

rich