re: dildos and personal fans

david wrote:

i used a 'vibrator', a few times in the early 80's, but..... ummm..... didn't
get so much musicality from that; 'twas fun to see the front-row's reaction,
though. also: 'personal fans' can be kinda nice, both sonically &, add'ly as a
mechanised-pick/'stringdriver'.
best,
dt / SPLaTTeRCeLL

I'm not a guitarist (although I use one in my live looping shows), I'm a texturalist and found sound aficianado who comes from a rhytmic background (world percussion and trapset originally).   I just wanted to say that I use variable speed dildos
to control simple melodies through pickups (and sometimes just through regular microphones). You usually can get a very simple two or three note melody out of one.
I recently did a local cable access television show where I played 28 minutes of music without using one conventional insturment (well, I used a balines suling once) and my wife at the last moment talked me out of doing a looping piece only using dildos.......family values and all)
    I also use personal fans in a piece of music called DAYGLO TRANSLUCENT LIME GREEN PLASTIC as one of the rhythmic elements. If you blow burst of air through the fan onto a mic you can get very techno sounding timbre going, rhytmically which can get pretty sophisticated if you use several fans with different 'fundamental' pitches.
I also use several sometimes as different pitched drones. It is particularly great when batteries are just about out of poop because the oscillations are slower and , if you are lucky, you can hear the modulation of the individual blades.  This, alas, does, not work through pickups.
Another fun 'preparation' of the guitar I've experimented with (outside of the de riguer alligator clips, knives and forks) is taking one of those large steel chinese therapeutic balls (you know, the ones in the import stores that have beautiful random chimes in them.
and roll them down the strings forwards or away from the pick ups.   I found these great blue plastic martini skewers with small round balls at the end which I use to play the strings directly over the pickups while the ball rolls.........kind of a slide, fretless gamelan kind of thing.........all of this loops wonderfully (he says, bringing it all back to the topic ; - )
stay  creative,   Rick (humbly AKA  Loop.pooL)