Re: Noises through pickups

Don't know if Dennis is using something different than what i've got,
but my 'singing bowls' (sometimes referred to as Tibetan Singing
Bowls) are essentially cymbals that are in the shape of a bowl, and
you use a wooden rod to make them 'sing'.  you hold the bowl at the
very bottom in one hand by your fingertips, then run the edge of the
rod round the lip of the bowl, applying even pressure and the bowl
begins to resonate and 'sing'.  They can also be simply struck, and
they ring like a gong.

It takes some practice and getting used to, but once you get it, it's
fairly easy to make 'em work.  There is an incredible variety of
shapes, sizes, PRICE and QUALITY out there, so shop carefully and
play it before you buy.  You can usually find them at New Age shops
or ethnic stores carrying Indian/Asian instruments.  I have a couple
of them  (if anybody lives in Boulder, CO, there was a store there
years ago that had dozens and dozens for excellent prices).

They are terribly beautiful when played correctly with concentrated
intent.  imagine the mellowest sounding feedback you've ever heard
and that's getting close.  Depending on the quality of the bowl,
there seems to be a true 'drone' or 'voice' that belongs to each
bowl, and with practice and concentration, you can work on
eliminating some of the odd harmonics and tones out while you are
playing and you end up with the bowl resonating very pure.  For me,
getting that pure sound had alot to do with the meditative intent as
much as hand coordination.

They also make some large ones of crystal glass.  The real big ones
make some amazing low tones that make your gut rumble a bit.  yummy.

rich