the olde Socratic Discourse (was: Warez, Arf Bungin' Magnets, etc.)

In a message dated 09/09/2000 12:07:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
switters@earthlink.net writes:

<< As much as you might claim that the listening audience has changed you
should consider this- In his own day would more of the general listening
public have
 gone to see Coltrane or Ricky Nelson? >>

Survey says: Ricky Nelson, that crack-smoking oldies-touring plane-burner.

I never suggested the listening audience has changed... it's just that
quality, once defined, was and is very often an elitist thing.  There are
exceptions, but they are usually just exceptions.  (Frank Sinatra, in the
era
referenced above, leapt to mind.  For a time, he was both 'good' by most
definitions, and popular.)

Instead of Trane, I could have spoken of someone alive today, but that
brings
up judgments about current artists.  (Can we all agree on someone alive
today
that is unquestionably 'good'?  I bet it would be tough.)

Otherwise, logic suggests that the Big Mac is haute cuisine based on its
'figures'.  We all know better.  As Pat Metheny ranted recently, 'We
ignore
this at our own peril.'

And to be sure, my earlier rant was not anti-technology.  My current rig
includes an EDP and a brand-new TC Electronic G-Force.  But I don't think
it's wise to learn how to run Photoshop without learning to draw first,
nor
to compose via MIDI and Mac without learning how to play well with the
drummer, or spell chords, or direct the audience by using silence, for
instance.

kb