Re: Warez (was Sharks Lungs in Haggis)

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Peter Shindler wrote:
> Whoa, wait a second...  some good music has been made with all of the
>stuff
> that you just listed, as well as a lot of crap.  And I'm sure that some
>of
> the people who are using a new Roland synth or one of the programs you
> mentioned are "pushing them to their absolute limits and making them do
> things outside their original specifications," as you say.  I'm sure
>most of
> them are doing pretty cheezy stuff without much merit, but it seems like
> you're needlessly slamming on a lot of people there.

I won't argue that some excellent music has come out of SP-808s, MC-505s
and their ilk. Hell, if I had the cash I wouldn't turn down a good deal on
one. I'm not arguing against the systems, I'm arguing against the growing
trend of synth manufacturers catering to people who don't know or care how
to get beyond the presets.

This is all purely selfish. I'm just annoyed that every new piece of gear
that comes out is geared toward dance music, either sample-based or
virtual analog, and sacrifices depth for ease of use to a staggering
degree. Sure, there's Kyma, Csound, Max, all of these things are
wonderful, but they don't have the userbase and support that major synth
companies bring to the table. The kind of gear I lust after is stuff like
the Kawai K5000.

> Or try this, your second paragraph slightly rephrased:
> I have a hard time respecting the "rock musicians" with their electric
> guitars, distortion pedals with instant Jimi Hendrix settings built in,
> spending a couple hundred bucks more so they can wow the crowds with the
> newest amp that sounds like nothing else until everyone else can afford
>it.
> Fuck That. Coming up with a I-IV-V chord progression, playing it as a
>bunch
> of power chords, whipping up some distortion, and topping it off with a
> blues-based solo is not good music.

That's almost just as valid as my original paragraph. The difference here
is that guitars don't come with presets and cookie-cutter dance loops.
Also, rock music has an extensive history, with a lot of material to draw
on. Who ever heard of a techno cover band?

> Sound ok?  It's not what you got, it's what ya do with it.

Precisely my point. :)

-><-