Re: Kyma/max

Ben Porter wrote:

> Yes, actually you can write your own code for Kyma, but it is DSP code
>and not C.

Yes, 56309 Assembler code. It's a royal PITA to write.  You have to do
all sorts of nasty hand optimiztaions to get good performance -- things
that  a C compiler cannot do.  Writing VST or MAS plugins is much, much
easier.  It's much better to buy more DSP cards and not spend the time
doing the DSP programming, unless you have already written
lots of 56K Assembler.  Many things that some think may require
assembler can actually be done by putting short scripts here and
there, or by taking a brute force approach.  It's always a trade off
between time and money.

I don't really know much about it though... That was mentioned in the
Kyma/Orville debates because you can write your own objects for Kyma, but
not Orville.

> I can see using Max and Kyma. I don't think that  Kyma can do all of the
>things that Max can do invovling the control and creation of MIDI data.

Max is highly effective for processing MIDI, and can complement
Kyma very well in that regard.

Jim