Re: re-mixing/sampling

One thing that sort of works would be to send the signal through two
graphic equalizers. The first EQ would attempt to remove the unwanted
parts, and the second one would try to smooth out the remaining sound. The
reason I say it "sort of" works is because the signal you'll end up with
most likely won't sound very much like the parts you liked on the record,
but in many cases you can process it into something decent-sounding.
Different, but decent-sounding. Creative use of compression and gating can
also help pull a buried part more to the front.

But unless you have access to the original multitrack masters (assuming the
instruments had some separation to begin with), you're not going to have
much luck removing certain instruments from a mix, particularly those with
a "wide" signal (i.e. encompassing a large frequency range) like most
percussion, guitar and synth parts. It would depend entirely on the way the
instruments are distributed along the frequency spectrum on the particular
record you're re-mixing; some producers strive for the clarity you get by
keeping everyone in their own range as much as possible (remember when
Fripp told Bruford not to use any cymbals?), while others like a "wall of
sound" approach. I've found that the technique I've described above can
work quite well when pulling a voice sample off of a videotape (what's left
still sounds like speech, and you can flange it or something), but when
applied to an instrumental passage it WILL change the tone of the part
you're trying to isolate. Like Matt said, look for a part where the
unwanted instrument is taking a breather, then loop a bar of the featured
instrument if possible.

Does anyone remember the Thompson Vocal Eliminator (TVE) that used to be
advertised in the back of magazines? It claimed to be able to "remove the
vocal track from any recording", so you could sing along. They showed a
dude with a '70's moustache cutting a demo without having to pay any
backing musicians. Those ads always cracked me up...

Tim