Re: computer music

> Bret:
> > I don't think these label distinctions are as cut
> > and dried as suggested, at least not in common usage.
>
> True .. and then there are artists who remix their own records live ..
>you
> can check out some Aphex Twin live sets here:
> http://www.joyrex.com/content_live.html
> And the DJ from Portishead, who writes the music, records it, has it
> pressed onto vinyl, and then DJ's with that !

<snip>
Yes, the techinique of creating dub plates goes back to the Jamaican
Dub mixers/artist like King Tubby and Lee Scratch Perry in the 60's
and 70's. Tubby is usually credited for the Dub plate technique.

> Using turntables to resequence other people's music seems to go back to
the
> birth of hip hop (was it Cool Herc who introduced the 2 turntable setup?
> not sure..)

Correct. The original Hip-Hop nation in the South Bronx brought back this
technique (or rediscovered it), e.g., Sugar Hill Gang, Afrika Bambatta,
and the other pioneers of Rap. Unfortunately it has degenerated to the
point of dreck like Puff Daddy, et al. But that's what happens to good
ideas all the time. Beat that dead horse to a bloody pulp...

Autechre definitely comes from the Hip Hop vein of remixers - influenced
by everything under the sun, as are Aphex and the rest of the Ambient/
Intelligent dance mafia.

- Larry T